Facts About The Arc De Triomphe
Just the Facts:
- The construction of the Arc de Triomphe in Paris was ordered in 1806 by Napoleon, the French Emperor.
- Napoleon wanted to honor the Grande Armee, the name of the French army at that time.
- The Grande Armee had conquered most of Europe and was then considered invicible. After his Austerlitz victory in 1805, Napoleon said to his soldiers : “You will return home through archs of triumph”.
- The construction had been stopped between 1814 (abdication of Napoleon) and 1826.
- The Arc de Triomphe costed 9.3 millions French francs, a gigantic amount of money at that time.
- The names of 128 battles of the first French Republic and Napoleon’s Empire are written on the white walls under the vault together with the names of the generals who took part in them.
- The construction of Arc de Triomphe was completed in 1836, long after Napoleon’s death in 1821.